Mara Reserve is one of the most popular tourism destinations in Kenya – Africa. The reserve is located in the Great Rift Valley in primarily open grassland. Wildlife tends to be most concentrated on the reserve’s western
The Masai Mara is regarded as the jewel of Kenya’s wildlife viewing areas. The annual wildebeest’s migration alone involves over 1.5 million animals arriving in July and departing in November. There have been some 95 species of mammals, amphibians, and reptiles and over 400 bird species recorded on the reserve.
Nowhere in Africa is wildlife more abundant, and it is, for this reason, a visitor hardly misses to see the big five (buffalo, elephant, leopard, lion, and rhino).
On the floor of the Great Rift Valley, surrounded by wooded and bushy grassland, lies the beautiful Lake Nakuru National Park.
Visitors can enjoy the wide ecological diversity and varied habitats that range from Lake Nakuru itself to the surrounding escarpment and picturesque ridges. Lake Nakuru National Park is ideal for bird watching, and game drives.
What you need for Mt. Kenya trek
- Walking boots and spare trainers or hut slippers.
- Warm clothing, socks, warm hat, warm gloves, and their liners.
- Waterproof jackets/trousers
- Sleeping bag rated -15 to – 25 degrees Celsius.
- Head torch and spare batteries.
- Camera and spare batteries.
- Snacks and throat sweets.
- First aid kit
- Sun protection factor # 33
- Enough money for tips.
Advance Planning Checklist
- Consult a medical doctor about your proposed trip.
- Suitable Travel insurance.
- Plan and execute a training program for fitness and stamina.
- A strong waterproof kit bag or rucksack.
- Trial packing and check the target weight of 15kg (Normal for the porter)
- Prepare a day pack to carry your essentials
- Pick up in Nairobi and drop off at agreed location.
- Full board accommodation in the mentioned Lodges/Camps.
- Services of a professional English-speaking driver guide.
- Transportation in custom designed safari vans with pop up roofs for game viewing.
- 1 liter of bottled mineral water daily in safari vehicle.
- All park entry and Reserve fees.
- All Mountain operations, (Mountain accommodation, hut fees Guides and porters’ wages, food.)
- Accommodations as stipulated in the itinerary on Full Board basis.
- International air fares.
- Travel insurance
- All items of personal nature e.g. Drinks, tips, laundry, telephone calls etc.
- Any activities and meals not mentioned
- Optional activities and excursions.
- Tips and Gratuities.
DAY 1: Nairobi Hotel To Mt. Kenya
Altitude: 2650m-3300m. Time: 3 ½ hrs.
This day starts with a drive to Sirimon gate via Nanyuki town. After check-in formalities start walking from here through the rainforest to Old Moses camp.
Day 2: Old Moses Camp to Shiptons Camp
Altitude: 3300m-4200m. Time: 6-7hrs.
After an early breakfast set off towards Ontulili River, from here magnificent scenery of the northern side. Hike through Likii valley to Mackinder’s valley to Shipton's camp.
Day 3: Shiptons Camp to Point Lenana
Altitude: 4200m-4985m. Time: 3 ½hrs.
You will be woken up at around 2 o’clock and after a light breakfast head out and following the trail up. The climb to Lenana point is relatively strenuous and steep in some places. Arriving in the summit in time for the sunrise and on a clear day Mt. Kilimanjaro is visible. Afterward descend down to Shipton's camp for full breakfast. Later on, descend down to Old Moses camp.
Day 4: Old Moses Camp to Nairobi
Altitude: 3300m-2650m. Time: 2 hrs.
Breakfast is served at 8 o’clock and you will leisurely hike down to Sirimon gate to meet up your transfer back to the city. Overnight at the City Hotel.
Day 5: Masai Mara/ Lake Nakuru
Leave for Masai Mara National Reserve. Overnight at Masai Mara Sopa Lodge, Ashnil Mara Lodge.
Meal plan FB
Day 6: Masai Mara
This day is spent exploring this expansive park, and also includes a visit to the famous Mara river and experience the annual Wildebeest migration. Overnight at Lodge.
Day 7: Lake Nakuru National Park
After an early breakfast, leave Amboseli and travel to Lake Nakuru National Park. Enjoy an afternoon game drive, overnight at Lake Nakuru Flamingo Hill Lodge, FB.
Day 8; Back to Nairobi
After breakfast, enjoy a game drive en-route as you exit the park and drive back to the city.